7/21/2011

Review: Just Do It - A Tale Of Modern-Day Outlaws

A few months back, I caught a special preview of Emily James’ documentary film Just Do It – a mind boggling fly on the wall observation into the world of the climate change activist; that direct action packed species hell-bent on civil disobedience in the name of the environment…



I was sold, even more so as I loved The Age of Stupid (another groundbreaking climate change film of which James was the executive producer), and even though a reflex reaction made me picture an inanimate pair of Nikes when I first heard ‘Just Do It’. Silly me - but how will communities across the UK and the world react to the film, and James’ portrayal of the key sparks in the climate change movement; from the Plane Stupid guys to Climate Camp, from the Copenhagen Climate Change Conference (COP15) to the occupation of coal power stations and airports in London and across the nation?

The film is currently touring cinemas across the UK, and on July 16 I jumped on the bus down the road to Stratford Picturehouse to see what those in my own back yard thought – plus there’s nothing like seeing once more, real people on the big screen having a jolly old rave on top of a police wagon (one of my favourite scenes from Just Do It).


Kyle Miers, a student from east London stated: “Well it’s not the same kind of thrill as the final Harry Potter movie…” – released the same week. “But it is so inspiring, sad, funny, honest, and depicts the real capability of people power” he added.

Waitress Meliz Pravin took a chance on the film through a recommendation “I know near to nothing about climate change, but my friend said I should give it a shot, and I’m really glad I did. It’s an eye-opener, and illustrates how much we as communities, in London and around the world, need to do to ensure this planet doesn’t go to s**ts.”

Such an impact I’m sure James herself will be hoping for all around, as she expresses the need not to underestimate the scale and consequences of global warming: “It's almost tempting to be flippant about it (climate change) but we really must resist that. It’s a problem of such a great scale that will dominate the rest of our lives.”

No wands or wizards, but do not overlook this on screen magic this summer. Just Do It is an action film through and through, one that is as enthralling as it is informational and inspiring. It provides an exciting, different way of looking at climate change and our world as a whole, provoking the kind of reaction to make any neutral viewer budge from the couch and fence they may well be perched on.

For all UK screenings of Just Do It, click here: www.justdoitfilm.com/screenings

Click here for more info: www.justdoitfilm.com

Photo: Kristian Buus

This article was also published on the Media Trust Community Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment