7/27/2011

Interview With West London Award-Winning Comedian - Nathan Caton

He talks about the Game Boy era, the ‘Your Mum’ generation, gangs, guns and knife crime, bad hip hop lyrics, the good, bad and ugly of family and community life – all with raw truth, cutting satire and hilarious punch and kick lines.


(a taster of Caton from ITV’s FHM Stand Up Hero)

Catching award-winning Greenford-based stand-up comedian Nathan Caton at the Rich Mix (www.richmix.org.uk) in Shoreditch last week was a summer highlight; he’s a fellow 80s child who gave me moments of nostalgia, cracking me up to the extent I literally choked on my Magners. After the set and the realignment of my facial muscles, I met the 26 year old funny guy to thank him for my t-shirt stain, and in turn, nail him down for a little Q&A about his ever-evolving home city, his calling, and his thoughts on the art of stand-up:

Q: I’ve read that you were never the class clown, but that you were the ‘shy bookworm’. Is that true?
A: Yeah, I was quite a reserved kid… a teacher’s pet to be honest.

Q: So how/when did you discover stand-up?
A: Over my teenage years I started getting a bit more courage, I became more of an extrovert. Then one time in church I was joking around about doing stand-up for a talent show, and my friend told me to give it a shot. I thought ‘naaaaah’, but I ended up doing it and I liked the buzz on stage. I still did A-Levels, even went to university and studied architecture, but I spent more time in comedy clubs than doing uni work. I got back into comedy, practiced at home in the mirror; every now and then I’d try it out on my mum – she’s a tough nut to crack, so if she’d laugh I’d know it’s funny. Eventually at some point, I decided stand-up was something I really wanted to do... even though I bombed a few times (laughs).

Q: You mean awful tumbleweed ‘I can hear a pin drop in this room’ experiences?
A: Unfortunately yeah I got a few of those - but that’s part of the learning curb as a comedian. I’ve been to gigs where the audience just talk over you and really don’t care that you’re on stage, but if I ever did have a gig like that, I’d just try and get another gig so I can smash it, do better, and erase the memories from the bad shows.

Q: As far as London goes, where are the places you go to catch some good stand-up comic relief?
A: The Comedy Store in Piccadilly Circus, the Bearcat Comedy Club in Twickenham and Headliners in Chiswick are my favourite joints.

Q: Where’s the one spot you want to perform in the capital?
A: Hammersmith Apollo – I was born in Hammersmith, so that would be cool.

Q: What are your best and worse memories of growing up in London?
A: Being a teenager here was normal, hanging out with friends, talking about girls with mates, going cinema etc. My best memories are the last days of school when you’re just waiting for the summer jam. The worse thing was girls didn’t really like me that much. I got bare knock downs (laughs).

Q: A common theme in your show refers to how much teenage lifestyle (including gun and knife crime) and communities have changed since our school days. Is there an underlying message in your comedy?
A: I want to naturally portray me as me on stage – for the audience to see me and get to know my life and the world as I see it through my comedy. As a result I do hope it may break down some assumptions and barriers. So yes, I have a laugh about today’s societies and knife crime, but it’s good if it can make people aware too. We hear it all the time – and it (knife and gun crime) is a problem that needs to be addressed by governments and councils more, especially as gang culture seems to have come to the forefront again in the last 10 years or so. In London, I guess that’s because I don’t think there’s as much of a community feel as there was when I was a kid; it’s a melting pot of multiculturalism, so many different people with different mentalities, with some parts segregated and ignorant to others. But at the same time I can see that aspect of community gradually seeping back into London, and in terms of the next generation, I won’t ever stereotype – I actually believe a lot of teenagers and young kids are misunderstood, one of the reasons being the media gives a wrong, unbalanced perception a lot of the time.

Q: Any advice for young jokers who want to get on stage?
A: Write a lot - anything you find funny, write it down. Constantly gig. Don’t give it up if it’s what you want to do. It’s taken me six years to get here, a grind and a half, but well worth it.

Q: Who are your kings of stand-up?
A: As a kid it was Lenny Henry as a face and voice of black comedy. Then there is Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle – all funny and clever inspirations. Right now I’m really into Reginald D Hunter, a guy who can make you think, and laugh – qualities I only see as good things in stand-up.

Q: You had a joke in your set about being irritated by someone comparing you to a ‘young posh Lenny Henry’, and that it happens because you’re a ‘black UK comedian’. Does that still make you twitch?
A: Don’t get me wrong, Lenny is a legend, and it’s a positive comparison as he is funny. But it is a bit annoying as of course I don’t want to be pigeon holed. And yeah I don’t see myself as a black comedian - comedy is universal. Race does not matter. But in terms of public and media perspectives, that’s just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes…

Nathan will be performing around the country this summer, including a set at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August (www.edfringe.com).

For more info on Nathan Caton and his upcoming shows, check out www.nathancaton.com


This article was also published on the Media Trust Community Channel

1 comment:

  1. "Thanks for this information.I agree with this.That the greatest amount of learning can occur.
    History of the Zanj/Zanze

    ReplyDelete