1/22/2010

What Is 'Resistance'? By Artist Tom Pritchard

As I'm using my blog as an archive/catalogue of my personal journalism escapades, I don't usually use it to promote other work - but this is a grand and lethal exception that deserves a breaking of the rules.



My close friend, artist Tom Pritchard, was asked as part of a uni project - to illustrate a set of posters that captured the spirit of 'resistance' politically and socially for Don't Panic. The awesome results are shown above. The word 'resistance' is layered behind the injustice addressed in each poster.

To gain some inspiration, he interviewed me about my experiences resisting racial abuse from the clutches of the British National Party (following a stunt I took part in last year to try and infiltrate a BNP meeting on behalf of Don't Panic and Ctrl.Alt.Shift). The Q&A which took part in the house where Tom and I used to (and still do) crack open a few beers, have a cheeky smoke (being the underage kool kids and all) and waffle on about nothing for ages - was definitely a laugh, but conjured tangent after inspirational tangent about how we view 'resistance', how important it is when facing injustice, and why if you want positive change, you must do everyone you can, without fear of standing out - because if you see no problems in the world and remain unwilling to challenge, then you are unable to fully comprehend, create, and be part of a solution.

Putting an end to THIS glorious waffle, I particularly love the image by Tom below - and it currently stands as my profile pic on my Facebook:



Can you tell why? The photo below was taken of me last year during a Ctrl.Alt.Shift women's rights in India campaign. It's one of my favourite pics of me doing what I do best for the youth initiative - being weird, provocative, whilst subtly trying to change the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment