3/17/2007

Evidence/Dilated Peoples Interview - mvremix.com

Definitely one of the best phone interviews I've ever done - rapper Evidence came across full of compassion for his peoples and passion for his music. Best known for his part in urban (music) legends, Dilated Peoples, I got a chance to chit-chat with Evidence about the next step - his solo debut, 'The Weatherman LP', and the influence of his sorely missed mother:



The Evidence Is All There
"I mention her a lot on the album, as I realised I could be depressed for the rest of my life or I could just understand that it's a part of a life cycle, and just to keep my head up and give her her props and the life that she deserves," he says.

Evidence utters these words two years after his mother's death. The reserved Californian has rolled on stage for years as an integral member of rap group Dilated Peoples, but is now alone in the limelight, with the March 20 release of his solo debut, The Weatherman LP. It is dedicated to the woman who raised him on the streets of Santa Monica.



On the 21-track album, bouncing beats, ill scratches and catchy hooks revolve around the relentless Ev, who spits pure adoration for his mother. It is obvious from the opening track, "I Know," to the final song, "I Still Love You," who the inspiration was for the record.

"Sometimes it's a tricky situation because I feel like she's not physically here to hear it," he continues. "So I think, ‘Am I too late?' Or ‘Am I doing this for selfish reasons?' But after a while, I figured out its really good therapy for me, to give her the credit she deserves by celebrating her life through this album...."

Read the full article here



No comments:

Post a Comment