3/27/2007

Badly Drawn Boy LIVE Review - mvremix.com

Below is a review I wrote for www.mvremix.com during my time in Vancouver, studying journalism for 5 months at Kwantlen College in Richmond. B.C. My internship at MVREMIX was a dream, with free tickets to a range of live music events in my home city away from home (many thanks to journalist mentor Andrea Woo for setting me up with the gigs, and the Canadian beers). The job was simple - go out, listen, jam, go home, write up, sleep - wake up, do it again!

Badly Drawn Boy was one of the performances I WAS most looking forward to, with him being a fellow Englishman in Vancouver, plus I was, and still remain a big fan of the Boy (Silent Sigh is on my morning playlist for those gruelling London Underground missions to the office).



Unfortunately however, this was not one of my better encounters with BDB - it started Badly (terrible, shameless joke), and finished... well, I honestly can't quite remember:

Badly Drawn Boy Ends Tour With Dreary Eyes, Cigarettes And Rye
"I need a break," he says as he stops playing piano and lights up a cigarette.
"You've seen me; I've been up here for fucking two hours."

It was understandable that Damon Gough of Badly Drawn Boy was tired, as his band got stuck on the stateside border for four hours earlier in the day. Nevertheless, the fading enthusiasm just summed up what was little more than a mediocre live show.

No more than 500 people packed out Vancouver's Richard's on Richards on March 27 as BDB took to the stage. Glasses were raised up high as Gough said: "This is the only Canadian show that we're doing, and the last show of our endless world tour," but it's hard to say that they finished strong...

Read the full article here






No comments:

Post a Comment