5/29/2009

Bashy Interview - Ctrl.Alt.Shift

I caught up with rapper Bashy to find out about his latest album 'Catch Me If You Can', his work in Africa, and how to hustle the grime game. Bish, Bash, Bosh - here's the Ctrl.Alt.Shift review:

Ctrl Meets Bashy
Ashley Thomas aka 23-year old grime star Bashy, is making movements and hitting music headlines. With a mass underground fan base building with love for his first two mixtapes 'Ur Mum Volume One' and 'The Chupa Chups Mixtape - Assorted Flavours' (all before releasing his debut album this June) - get ready, get set, for an era of the bish, bash, bosh boy from West London.

From music projects with Blur's Damon Albarn in Nigeria to being an ambassador for the UK's 'No to Knives' campaign, Ctrl.Alt.Shifter Dwain Lucktung spoke to Bashy about his life and fast times, inspiring the next generation from UK to Africa, and how 'Catch Me If You Can' is going to turn and bop heads this summer...



Would you say your rise to fame was unexpected, with your bus driving past times?
Rise to shame you mean? Nah, I don't think like that, I don't think of it as fame you get me. And I wouldn't say unexpected - I mean, I did hope to get here, because bus driving was just killing me, killing my soul.

How do the hustling youth get big in the game?
They need to look at their own life experiences, draw on their stories, form their own style and come with a new, innovative angle.

What were the highlights of your time in Nigeria, working on the Africa Express project (the ever-expanding coalition of African and Western musicians) with Blur/ Gorillaz's Damon Albarn?
Meeting the Nigerian people, experiencing Nigerian culture, eating the Nigerian food; the pounded yam, ground rice and cat fish - boy, I was eating that everyday. I enjoyed the whole lifestyle over there. And of course it was great working with the likes of musical genius Albarn...

Read the full article here

No comments:

Post a Comment