4/14/2011

Mali UNAIDS Youth Summit On HIV – Day 2, First Point Of Contact

So, somehow I’m now on the UNAIDS ‘Call for Action’ drafting committee… think it comes from sitting by the Massaley Hotel pool last night chit chatting with some awesome UNAIDS reps about their work, this Mali Youth Summit on HIV and what we all wanted to get out of it; a more just and facilitated global system for those living with HIV and AIDS. Now I’m throwing my two cence and more in…



Whilst the ‘Call for Action’ document (set to be published to the delegates and the world on Sunday April 18) is confidential and going through the track changes, I can deliver a teaser that it’s all about mobilising a global movement of young people to rally governments, civil societies, relevant organisations and each other to pump up the work surrounding HIV prevention, HIV education and stigma eradication – along with a mass of other branches that will contribute to various goals ahead of the High Level Summit in June.

How will it work? Who will plant the seeds of this massively important, yet daunting mission? A lot of those answers will come out of the summit, which starts tomorrow (April 15). And I have good reason for optimism. Aside from the obvious highlights – which include preparing to meet around 1000 HIV activists, plus a press conference with the President of Mali – today I got to meet and great just a handful of the inspirational young delegates.



It was by chance really, as I walked into a brief meeting with the bunch at the UNAIDS office in Bamako whilst trying to get a hold of my expenses (which are paying for my lush meals of omelette and salad – the best of the best on the veggie side of the menu). In the sweltering heat, I looked like a bit of a sweaty wreck upon interrupting the session, but it was smiles and handshakes all around as I exchanged introductions with social and HIV activists, youth ambassadors, entrepreneurs and peer educators from Mozambique, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Mauritania, Canada and North America, Trinidad, Australia, China, Gambia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Botswana, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Namibia; each one stating how they were community and youth leaders setting up platforms for their people (regionally and now internationally) in the fight for HIV justice.



Credit: Photographer Kris Krug

And I repeat – this room was just a sprinkle from the buffet of amazing people I’ll be meeting, and working with over the next couple of days.

Much to look forward to. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment