12/02/2010

Review: Me Myself & HIV - MTV Staying Alive Campaign - Ctrl.Alt.Shift

Just hit World AIDS Day (December 1), and this is the best HIV-awareness short film I've seen so far...



Review: Me Myself & HIV - MTV Staying Alive Campaign

What is the average day like for a young person living with HIV? Is it different from Africa to the US? CAS editor, Dwain Lucktung, finds out as he watches ‘Me Myself & HIV’; an inspirational short film by MTV Staying Alive for World AIDS Day…

How simple can life be for someone living with HIV? Can you imagine them - the ones with the virus - clubbing, getting tattoos, dating, kissing…?

The answer is very, very simple.

MTV Staying Alive (a HIV awareness initiative) have produced an enlightening short film for World AIDS Day (December 1) which follows two very normal young people, two worlds apart, but both living fulfilled lives despite their HIV positive status.

HIV doesn’t need to a doom and gloom subject – and ‘Me Myself & HIV’ proves that; as we witness 25 year old all-American Minneapolis sweetheart, Angelikah, and aspiring 21 year old Zambian DJ/music artist, Slim, going through all the life challenges we might go through (but they just so happen to have HIV).

Angelikah parties hard, goes to university, has a HIV negative boyfriend (and they do ‘everything and more’ apparently) – admittedly she states “It’s definitely harder to get closer to people with HIV… a lot would see it as a deal-breaker from the beginning”, but that doesn’t stop her and Taylor having a flourishing relationship. They go hand in hand to get Angelikah’s tattoo, a West African symbol that represents “someone who has gone through a lot of crap but come through the other side.” How appropriate for a young woman who insists, ““People need to understand I’m just an average 25 year old girl.”

Ladies - can you sympathise?

Same question to the lads. Look at Slim. He’s the Lusaka boy driving for a record deal, trying to get a girlfriend – a familiar story for some? There’s a few minor differences perhaps - Slim found out he was HIV positive when he was 15; not an easy skeleton in the closet for a young Zambian kid who claims “It’s difficult when you’re (HIV) positive trying to find a girl who will accept you for who you are…”

To read the full review, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant!
    Dwain, yet again, you have done me proud! How can I get involved with Ctrl Alt Shift?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good-day every one, my name is Mike Clinton, i want to share my experience with the general public on how i got my hiv aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of hiv, but i never believed them, but one day bi wanted to tests the faith of the DR OGBOLE, then i contacted him on his email on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, when i contact him, he told me so many things about my life and so many thing about me which was 100% correct, then i pleaded with him to help me out, then to my greatest surprise he prepared some medicine and he asked me to take it, which i did exactly the way the asked me to take them, he told me that in three days time tat i should go and check on my hiv status, i was kind of been surprise, when i went to the hospital to check of my status, the doctor was so surprise when he saw that i was hiv negative, i did not know how i am going to thank DR OGBOLE for his good work so i decided to share with the general public on what the great DR did for me, i am so thankful to GOD, for sending DR OGBOLE to my rescue, of you are out there having same illness you can contact him so he can help you out on DROGBOLETEMPLEOFCURE@GMAIL.COM, i live in united kingdom, you can also call me if you wish on +447031948646, thanks for sharing from my experience.........................

    ReplyDelete