11/28/2008

BNP Member's List Leaked - Ctrl.Alt.Shift

How would you feel having a racist living next door to you? Or even in the same neighbourhood...? Now, it's not that hard to find out, as a BNP membership list has been leaked online. I cannot hold too many sympathies; I went through teen summer camps to university days crossing paths with kids (uni overgrown kids) calling me a "f**king chink!" to saying the very original line, "Go back to your own country!" (my blog states I'm born and bred original EAST LONDON material you morons - read it and weep). Show me a racist across the street, and you'll see me on 'Neighbours From Hell'.



However, I do not believe that anyone should have their private lives (from family members to phone numbers) leaked on the net without any sign of permission of knowledge. That's the littliest bit of sympathy the exposed BNP members get from me - that I do not comply with the breach of confidentiality. Still, Nick Griffin and his cronies will not have my vote at the next elections - a lil understanding does not equal a big bag of love. But what did the good British people think of this news...? It was something reporter Ben Anderson and I felt compelled to set out and discover for Ctrl.Alt.Shift. Here's the article:

Vox Pops: Exposure of the BNP
In recent weeks, details of BNP members have been leaked onto the internet, exposing the names, home and e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of the group.

On the BNP website they claim that enemies continue to parrot the claim that they are a "racist party" solely because "... the BNP unashamedly addresses itself to the issues and concerns of the indigenous British population, and because it seeks to ensure that British people remain the majority population in this country."



Nevertheless, the BNP are still perceived by many as a far right-wing, extremist party with a bad rep of evoking prejudice and racism towards non-white sectors of society - so we put this question to our youth:

How do you feel about the exposure of the BNP party members?

Also, despite the storm surrounding the list, BNP Chairman Nick Griffin has rejoiced over a silver lining: "The publicity about the high quality of our membership has massively improved our image. As a direct result we had more than 100,000 visitors to our website in one 24-hour peak period, and estimate many times more than that amount never managed to get through due to the demand on our servers. Those that did succeed in getting through read nearly two thirds of a million pages. This was double the previous record..."

Friend or foe of the party, we then asked:

"In this instance, is all publicity good publicity?"

Finally we tested the consideration of human rights and freedom of speech by posing the question:

"Do you think the BNP party should be banned?"

Orsi, 17:
"I don’t think information leaking like this is a good thing for any party, especially the BNP. I’m sure many of the supporters will not want to be named. I don’t think the increased awareness will necessarily be beneficial to them, because awareness doesn’t always lead to support. I don’t think the BNP should be banned though, as no political party, whatever their views, should be banned due to freedom of speech."

Michael, 18:
"I don’t know too much about the BNP, but releasing information like this is quite dangerous, especially when there are people out there who are anti BNP who can now access all of the information surrounding these members. I think raising the publicity of a party like this is also a bad thing, as people may read up on them and take their messages the wrong way. I don’t think they should be banned though; the BNP like everyone have a right to their opinion, even if I don’t agree with what they're saying."

Read the full list of comments here

No comments:

Post a Comment