12/10/2008

Present Aid Survey - Ctrl.Alt.Shift

Here's a satirical survey reporter Ben Anderson and I conducted for Ctrl.Alt.Shift on the option of 'Present Aid' this Christmas. If I said to you, "Merrrrry Christmas! You got a child in the DRCongo a goat!) - what would be your honest reaction... and don't say 'It's the thought that counts." I'm good at detecting liars. Have a think, and for food for thought, here's our feature below:

Vox Pops: You Got Me a Goat?
"Merry Christmas. A donation has been made in your name to a farm in Kasangulu, DRCongo, for the amount of three cows and a chicken."

Now what do you say?

Buying 'charity'gifts for your family or friends, from the likes of Present Aid, can be an iffy one. It might not be exactly what you want, but then it is all in the name of a good cause. On the other hand, upon opening a virtually empty card, some might even respond with: "Why the hell didn't you stick to the list?"



We wanted to know what our youth had to say on the matter of unasked charity donations, so Ctrl.Alt.Shift took to the streets to question people’s ideal Christmas gifts.

We then asked our interviewees: "How would you feel if your loved ones made a charity donation (perhaps some money, a duck and a goat to a Kenyan struggler) in your name as a festive sentiment?" We followed that up by asking if they would ever consider doing the same thing for someone else.

Finally we tackled the subject of a 'real, meaningful gift' with charity in mind, by asking: "Do you think charity donations should be kept anonymous, or does publicising the giver taint the validity of the selfless sentiment – and does it become more about the donator than the donation?"

Siobhan, 21:
"For Christmas, ideally I’d like a car. Though, if someone made a donation in my name, I’d be happy with that, and yeah I would consider doing the same thing for someone else. Is it tainted to publicise the donator? I guess it just depends on the person and why they’re doing it. Still, you should be allowed to keep it anonymous, or put a name on it, even if it makes it more about the giver. Either way, it's a good cause, and a good gift."

Lucy, 20:
"I want a degree for Christmas. But I'd love a gift like that, I think it's a brilliant idea – especially if you don't know what you want, it'd be better than getting just another jumper. I'd do it, as I've done it before for my parents; I got them a donation (in their name) of some chickens so that an African family could become more self-sufficient. I've been to Kenya with my father at the age of nine, and after seeing the situation over there, a donation seems a much more worthwhile gift than the rubbish you can buy over here. I don't think it is necessary to name the donator, but I don't think it's a bad thing – I think it's important to recognise people doing good things and donating money, though the amount is not important."

Read the full list of answers here

No comments:

Post a Comment